Energy Disclosure helps you know what improvements to make.
Every home can be energy efficient.
Each home sold in Minneapolis since 2020 has received an energy score. This score tells you how efficiently a home uses energy.
More than just lower energy bills.
A high energy score means better comfort year-round, healthier indoor air and reduced environmental impact. Homeowners can achieve these benefits through cost-effective energy improvements.
Free, no-pressure home energy advice.
Energy Advisors from local nonprofit Center For Energy And Environment are the go-to solution for improving your home's energy efficiency. Energy Advisors can:
- Refer you to high-quality contractors and assist in scheduling bids.
- Connect you to the best utility rebates and low-interest financing available.
This program is supported by
Home Energy Project Resources
Top Recommended Energy Improvements
These are the most cost-effective upgrades you can make. While cutting energy bills for savings of up to $2,000 in five years, they also improve your home’s energy score, comfort, and resale value.
Attic insulation — Insulating and air sealing your attic is one of most effective energy upgrades you can make to your home. This improvement will lower your energy bills and make your home more comfortable and less likely to develop problematic ice dams.
Wall insulation — Adding wall insulation is one of the best energy improvements to decrease energy bills and increase comfort all year.
Heating system — Replacing an old, inefficient furnace or boiler with a high-efficiency system will lower your energy bills.
- Storm windows — Adding storm windows to single-pane windows is a cost-effective way to improve comfort and save energy at home.
Financing and help with next steps.
To make energy improvements easier in 2021, the City of Minneapolis is offering 0% financing for residents. Funding is limited and only available this year. Access additional low-interest lending options from CEE’s nonprofit lending center.
Energy Advisors from CEE are here to help coach you through the energy upgrade process. Advisors can answer questions about your energy score or recommended improvements, as well as connect you to useful resources like dependable contractors, utility rebates, and 0% financing.
Find a Home's Energy Score
Use the map to find the score of any Minneapolis home that has filed an energy disclosure report. Reporting started in January of 2020.
Tips for using the map
- To search by address use the “Search Address” bar.
- To filter by neighborhood, use the “Neighborhood” drop-down menu. Uncheck the “All” option to deselect all neighborhoods, and then check the box for the neighborhood(s) you want to view.
- Hover over an individual home to display its address, home energy score, the average score for the neighborhood, and components of its score.
- Zoom in or out with your mouse wheel. Or double-click to zoom in, and hold shift while double-clicking to zoom out.
- On a PC, click "Ctrl" + "Z" to undo. Use the arrows in the bottom toolbar to undo, redo, or reset.
- The bottom toolbar also offers a full-screen option on the far-right side.
- At any time, click the home icon in the map's upper left to reset to the default view.
Resources for Real Estate Agents
Help your clients understand the home energy scores.
Energy efficiency pays.
Energy efficiency has value in the buying and selling process. With motivations ranging from saving on utility bills to reducing emissions, homebuyers are more interested than ever in energy efficiency at home. Benefits include a more comfortable at home, lower energy bills, lower carbon emissions, and a higher resale value.
Every score is a winner.
A home with a lower efficiency score shouldn't be discouraging to a potential buyer. With many financing and rebate opportunities available, it’s never been easier or more affordable to increase scores through energy improvements.
Refer clients to free Energy Advisor service.
Energy Advisors are ready to help your clients tackle any home energy problem and project. In 2019 alone, CEE’s Energy Advisors coached more than 900 clients through home improvement projects, helping homeowners save over $350,000 in utility rebates.
Energy Advisors are a free service available to clients in any city, featuring:
Start-to-finish project guidance
Connection to low-interest financing on project costs
Connection to up to $1,600 in utility rebates
Recommendations for high-quality contractors
- CEE's Energy Advisors: Free efficiency project consulting — download the flyer to give to your clients.
- Home Energy Squad: Home energy visit service through Xcel Energy and CenterPoint Energy.
- Home Energy Hub: Website with helpful posts and relevant topics written by CEE's energy experts.
- CEE Lending Center: Loans and grants for rehabilitation and energy efficiency projects.
- Energy Badge Flyer: Sample of a third-party verification that showcases high-performing home energy features and their benefits. Find them at the end of the TISH Report.
- CenterPoint Energy Approved Contractors: List of air-sealing and insulation installers who qualify for CenterPoint's rebate program.
Trainings and education
TISH Talk: Energy Scores and More in Minneapolis: October 2020
Jump to your topic of interest:
- Benefits of home energy efficiency & impact on resale value (4:56)
- What is energy disclosure (13:43)
- Results of TISH so far (21:41)
- Tools and resources for Realtors (25:20)
- Q&A (34:30)
- Realizing the Value: An Appraiser-Led Analysis of the High-Performing Home Premium in Leading Midwest Markets (Elevate Energy)
- Home Energy Efficiency for Real Estate Professionals (U.S. Department of Energy)
- The Misconception That Buyers “Don’t Care” About Home Performance (Energy Logic)
Energy Advisors are your go-to solution for home energy questions.
Energy Advisors take the guesswork out of projects by working with you start to finish. We will help you determine where to start and will connect you to financing, utility rebates, and high-quality contractors.
Energy Advisors are cost-free, pressure-free, and available anywhere. We are here to help you achieve your home energy goals!