Carl is a seasoned industry veteran known for his role in pushing innovation in program implementation. In his current role, Carl oversees the market transformation efforts of the organization, including the Efficient Technology Accelerator, a statewide market transformation effort funded by Minnesota’s investor-owned utilities.
In his 14 years at CEE, he has designed and managed numerous energy efficiency programs — including two ACEEE "Exemplary Program" award winners — and has developed and overseen nearly a dozen pilot programs. He has also been involved in efficiency policy and research projects, and led the team that conducted a statewide energy efficiency potential study for the state of Minnesota.
Carl has a BA from Macalester College and an MS in technology, energy, and the environment from the University of Minnesota’s Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs. He currently serves on the board of the Midwest Energy Efficiency Alliance.
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM) by the Association of Energy Engineers
- Certified Energy Auditor by the Dunwoody Institute
- Minnesota Efficient Technology Accelerator: Carl led the development and oversees implementation of one of the first Midwest statewide market transformation programs.
- Community Code Compliance Program: Partnering with CEE’s research team, Carl led development and launch for this program that provides direct assistance to local code officials to increase code compliance in commercial buildings.
- Minnesota Air Source Heat Pump Collaborative: Carl and his team developed and currently implement this program to accelerate the adoption of heat pumps in Minnesota.
- Statewide Energy Efficiency and Carbon Savings Potential Study: Carl was the project manager for this large research project.
- Multifamily Energy Savings Program: Carl developed the program design and oversaw implementation of this program for three years.
- Multifamily Benchmarking Pilot: Carl conducted a process evaluation for a 500-building pilot program targeting the multifamily buildings sector.
- Energy Fit Homes: Carl oversaw the development of this existing homes certification program.
- Home Energy Squad: Carl was CEE’s first program manager for this comprehensive residential efficiency program, which was a recipient of ACEEE’s Exemplary Program award.