As the senior director of program development, Carl Nelson coordinates the development of new program initiatives at CEE and has been with CEE since 2009. He has over 15 years’ experience in the assessment and implementation of a broad array of energy efficiency and renewable energy projects, including wind, solar, and biomass. His policy experience has focused on partnership building and sound analysis of energy policy.
Carl has a BA from Macalester College and an MS in technology, energy, and the environment from the University of Minnesota’s Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs.
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM) by the Association of Energy Engineers
- Project Management Professional (PMP) by the Project Management Institute
- Certified Energy Auditor by the Dunwoody Institute
- Program Management
- Home Energy Squad: For five years, Carl was the program manager for this residential program, which was a recipient of ACEEE’s Exemplary Program award.
- Energy Fit Homes: Carl oversaw the development of this existing homes certification program.
- Multifamily Energy Savings Program: Carl developed the program design and oversaw implementation of this program for three years.
- Energy Efficient Cities: Carl was the program manager for this six-city, seven-utility pilot program, which was later merged into the Home Energy Squad for Xcel Energy and CenterPoint Energy.
- Direct Install Plus Multifamily Buildings Pilot: Carl developed and oversaw the implementation of this pilot.
- Statewide Energy Efficiency and Carbon Savings Potential Study: Carl was the project manager for this large research project.
- Process Evaluation of Minnesota Energy Score Cards
- Multifamily Benchmarking Pilot: Carl conducted a process evaluation for a 500-building pilot program targeting the multifamily buildings sector.