Youth Energy Education
CEE's TOLBY® program (for "turn off lights behind you") is a free interactive energy efficiency education resource for grades 1 through 5. The program features a 40-minute, in-class visit with optional supporting activities, and aligns with Minnesota State Science Standards.
A TOLBY visit is:
- About 40 minutes long
- Good for at least 10 students, with no maximum.
- Appropriate for grades 1 to 5.
- Self-sufficient, no need for technology or equipment.
- Detailed more thoroughly in our Visit FAQs (PDF).
We also offer optional pre- and post-visit activities to help students develop a more complete understanding of the content.
Students learn about:
- Energy basics, such as kinetic and potential energy, electricity sources, electricity use, and conservation actions.
- Types of energy (eg, light, heat, growth).
- Sources of electricity, and percentage of use.
- How fossil fuels are made, with a focus on coal.
- Transmission of electricity to our homes.
- The value of reducing electricity.
- Simple energy conservation actions to do at home and school
To schedule your free school visit, contact Emma at 612-335-5852 or firstname.lastname@example.org